Get your mat ready for practice with your own cleaner made with safe ingredients and your favourite essential oils.
How to make your own yoga mat cleaner
Making your own yoga mat cleaner is super easy and it only requires a few ingredients! Practising yoga on a clean, beautiful smelling mat is a whole different experience!
Before you start, check the cleaning instructions of your mat manufacturer. Depending on the material it is made of (natural rubber, for example), this might not be suitable for your mat.
- 500 ml dark glass spray bottle.
- 350 ml distilled water.
- 150 ml vodka. If you want an alcohol-free alternative you can use apple cider vinegar which has antibacterial properties but a strong smell. You may also use witch-hazel (Hamamelis water).
- essential oils
Choose your favourite blend
24 drops Lavender
16 drops Bergamot
8 drops Patchouli
24 drops Mandarin
16 drops Grapefruit
8 drops Peppermint
24 drops Bergamot
16 drops Geranium
8 drops Lavender
• Pour the distilled water into the bottle.
• Add the vodka (or apple cider vinegar or witch-hazel) and your favorite the essential oils mixture.
• Shake well. Spray it all over your mat, wipe clean with a towel and leave it out to dry.
• Label the bottle and keep it in a dark, cool space away from children and pets.
Experiment with different blends to create different moods! Let me know if you tried it, or if you came up with your own blend!